Jacques Cartier, (born 1491, Saint-Malo, Brittany, France–died September 1, 1557, near Saint-Malo), French mariner, whose explorations of the Canadian coast and the St. Lawrence River (1534, 1535, 1541–42) laid the foundation for later French claims to North America (see New France). Cartier L’odyssee also is credited with naming Canada, though he used the title–derived from the Huron-Iroquois kanata, meaning that a village or settlement–to refer just to the region around what is currently Quebec city.Cartier seems to have voyaged into the Americas, particularly Brazil, before his three important North American voyages. After King Francis I of France decided in 1534 to send an expedition to explore the northern lands in the hope of discovering gold, spices, and a passage into Asia, Cartier received the commission. He drifted out of Saint-Malo on April 20, 1534, together with two ships and 61 men. Reaching North America a few weeks afterwards, Cartier traveled across the west coast of Newfoundland, found Prince Edward Island, and explored the Gulf of St. Lawrence up to Anticosti Island. Having captured two Indians at the Gaspé Peninsula, he sailed back to France.His report piqued the interest of Francis I sufficiently for him to send Cartier back the next year, with three boats and 110 men, to investigate further. Guided by the two Indians he had brought back, he sailed up the St. Lawrence as far as Quebec and established a base near an Iroquois village. In September he proceeded with a little party so far as the island of Montreal, where navigation was barred by rapids.
In this month’s aBlogtoWatch giveaway, one lucky reader will win a Traser P68 Pathfinder automatic watch. As one of the most well-known manufacturers of value-focused sport watches, Traser also serves as the in-house brand of MB-Microtec, who produces self-illuminating tritium gas tubes. From legible field watches to durable divers, Traser manages to fit an excellent variety of features into watches that are meant to last a lifetime. This Traser P68 Pathfinder, for example, provides its wearer with an internal compass ring, an automatic movement, and an impressive array of tritium gas tubes together with Super-LumiNova.
The Traser P68 Pathfinder’s case is PVD-coated and 46mm in diameter. While certainly large, the coating allows for the watch to appear slightly more compact on wrist for a more low profile look. Water resistance is 100m, a durable sapphire crystal aids legibility with its AR coating, and the deep sunray blue dial serves as a perfect backdrop for the host of vital information displayed by the Traser P68 Pathfinder. The Traser P68 Pathfinder is priced at 895 CHF and you can enter to win your very own by following the instructions below.
To Enter You Must:
1. Comment on this post below (on aBlogtoWatch.com, not Facebook, or elsewhere you might see this article) before the giveaway is over with your valid e-mail address where required (if you’ve signed up for the commenting system before, your e-mail should already be in there). In the body of your comment, tell us about what your ideal “adventure watch” might be and why. Is it something pricey, disposable, feature-packed, or simple?
2. Be a pal. If possible, “like” or follow any or all of the following:
- Like aBlogtoWatch on Facebook
- Follow aBlogtoWatch on Instagram
- Follow Traser on Instagram
Want aBlogtoWatch articles automatically sent to you via e-mail? Sign up here:
3. Wait until the giveaway is over on May 31, 2018, for the winner to be chosen at random. A couple of basic rules. You can only enter once. You must comment with a valid e-mail address where you can be reached. Your comment must be confirmed and approved. You must complete the objectives to be considered. You are responsible for providing your contact shipping information if you are chosen. Shipping restrictions to non-US entrants may apply based on sponsor’s policies. Giveaway watch selection based on sponsor’s inventory and watch availability. All comments made after the end of the giveaway period will not be considered. If you are chosen as a winner, you then have 24 hours to ensure receipt of your full shipping information or an alternative winner will be chosen. For the full terms and conditions, please click here.
Good luck, and thanks to Traser Watches, sponsor of the Traser P68 Pathfinder Automatic watch giveaway here at aBlogtoWatch!