Recently, our contributor Max went over the Clerc Hydroscaph, a robust and bulky dive watch that he spotted to have one big advantage: a strong design, easily recognizable among every other dive watches. Thanks to its inimitable bezel, the Clerc Hydroscaph has a strong reputation, together with a very pleasant quality. For Baselworld 2015, the brand is about to introduce a new edition of its best-seller. Please welcome the Clerc Hydroscaph GMT Power Reserve Chronometer.
What makes the Clerc Hydroscaph so special is its design, particularly its bezel with a three dimensional, cut-away shape – a square within a circle. When viewed from above, the cutting of the bezel leaves a flat square on the surface with four beveled slopes on each side. This bezel is, naturally, engraved on each beveled slopes with 15-minute markers. On the flat surface, we found a classical scale, with precision markings for every minutes (from 0 to 20) and then every 5 minutes. This bezel is unidirectional and protected against any inadvertent activation by an exclusive device. Pivoting the bezel requires prior deployment of a retractable flap built in to the crown at 10 o’clock. Once retracted, the bezel is thus securely locked and protected from any accidental deregulation when diving. This bezel is also equipped with an Helium escapement valve.
The 43.8mm case, made with lots of details and sharp angles, is highly reinforced and protected. It’s also quite an impressive diving tool that is able to resist to a 800-meter depth – even with a see-through sapphire crystal on the case-back. It comes on a vulcanized rubber strap or alligator-finish rubber strap with folding clasp.
The main novelty for Baselworld 2015 is a new display and thus, a new mechanical movement. Together with the central hours/minutes/seconds indications, the Clerc Hydroscaph GMT Power Reserve Chronometer features a date window at 3, a power reserve gauge at 12 and a 24-hour dual-time sub-dial at 6 – adjustable via a dedicated pusher at 4 o’clock. The self-winding Clerc C610 movement boasts 42 hours of power reserve and is chronometer certified. All the indications are highly legible, both in the day with bold markers and hands, and in night-time conditions.
The Clerc Hydroscaph GMT Power Reserve Chronometer is available in 3 materials: stainless steel, black DLC coated stainless steel or 18K red gold and black DLC-coated steel. It also offers a large choice of dials: white, midnight blue, chocolate brown or black.
For more details, please visit Clerc Official website.
- Movement: Mechanical self-winding, exclusive C610 calibre 31 jewels, 28,800 bph, 42-hour power reserve
- Functions: Hours, minutes, central seconds, date, power-reserve indicator and 24-hour dual-time display
- Case: Steel or Black DLC-coated high-density steel or 18K red gold and black DLC-coated high-density steel – 43.8 or 48 mm with lateral reinforcements – Crown activating and locking the rotating bezel – Glare proofed sapphire crystal on both sides, dual-porthole exhibition case-back – Automatic helium release valve – 83 components – Water-resistant to 800 m (80 ATM/2,624 ft)
- Dial: White, brown, midnight blue or black Central hours, minutes and seconds hands Date aperture at 3 o’clock – Power-reserve indicator at 12 o’clock 24-hour dual-time display at 6 o’clock
- Strap: Vulcanized rubber or alligator-finish rubber with folding clasp